A couple of weeks ago I posted about BabyKicks starting a new day of the week. Instead of Wednesday’s being Hump Day, it will be called Hemp Day, in honor of Cloth Diapering.
Why Hemp: Well, BabyKicks will tell us why, below.
We use hemp because of its durability, absorbency, and it’s natural anti-microbial properties. This means your baby will be protected naturally from bacteria, mold, mildew and fungus.
Furthermore using hemp, instead of cotton, really is better for the environment. Hemp does not deplete the soil; in fact hemp leaves return nitrogen back to the soil, which improves soil fertility, therefore requiring less fertilizer for subsequent rotated crops.
Interesting Factoids about Hemp:
Did you know …
- Hemp can displace cotton which is grown with massive amounts of chemicals harmful to people and the environment. Fifty percent of the world’s pesticides are sprayed on cotton.
- Hemp fibers are longer, stronger, more absorbent, and more mildew-resistant than cotton. The original Levi Strauss jeans made for the Sierra gold miners were made of hemp sailcloth.
- At a volume level of 81%, hemp oil is the richest known source of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids (the “good” fats). It is quite high in some essential amino acids, including gamma linoleic acid (GLA), a very rare nutrient also found in mother’s milk.
- Hemp is good for the soil in which it’s grown, as opposed to other crops that deplete the soil of nutrients.
- You can’t get high from industrial hemp.
- Industrial hemp actually poses a threat to marijuana growers by cross-pollinating with their high THC plants, and greatly reducing the THC level in subsequent generations.
- George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both grew hemp.
- Ben Franklin owned a mill that made hemp paper.
- Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence on hemp paper.
I personally have to agree, I have never come across another diaper that has soaked up so much pee and still NEVER leaked. In fact, I have taken this diaper off of my baby after it had been on her much longer than I expected. I put a different brand diaper on her and the OTHER diaper leaked within 30 minutes. Had I just kept the BabyKicks on my LO, she would have stayed dry, for sure.
BabyKicks has adjusted the sizing of the 3g Pocket Diaper just a little. The newborn snap has been moved to the edge of the wing (instead of between the 1st & 2nd snap). And, all the wing snaps have been moved about 3/16″ toward the end of the wing, to allow for slightly larger sizing options. This small detail has made a big difference in the sizing of the diaper, for chunky thighs especially (in a good way).
I am thrilled to be able to host this weeks Happy Hemp day and give you an opportunity to
WIN a BabyKicks 3G in the beautiful Meadow Color.